USAF's 'Air Force 2023' provides guidance for a worst-case sequestration scenario
- The USAF's 'Air Force 2023' plan envisions budget cuts in a worst-case scenario under sequestration
- Top priorities that remain immune to budget pressure include the F-35, KC-46A, and LRS-B
The US Air Force (USAF) has put together a plan known as 'Air Force 2023' to guide budget cutting decisions in the event that the military services face the full brunt of sequestration: a USD500 billion cut over 10 years.
The USAF's new plan assesses every modernisation and acquisition programme to determine which could be cut and which would be considered essential in the event the sequestration law remains in effect as written over the coming decade.
Source: Caitlin Lee, Washington, DC - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly News - 17 June 2013
Photo: The US Air Force KC-46 tanker aircraft. An artist's impression of the KC-46 tanker aircraft refuelling a C-17 airlifter. The KC-46 is a top priority for the USAF, despite budget pressure. (Photo by Boeing)
• Step Back: Lessons for U.S. Foreign Policy from the Failed War on Terror
Executive Summary: In the wake of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, the United States launched an international war on terrorism defined by military intervention, nation...>>
• Is the Russian military moving towards more transparency?
Military officials disclose plans online for the development of the army and navy....>>
• American Forces No Longer in Europe to Defend Europe
The conservative Heritage Foundation’s Luke Coffey cautioned the United States on Monday against significantly reducing their military presence in Europe. “The commonly held belief...>>
• About 300 Air Force fighter jets to fly again after temporary budget reprieve
About 300 fighter jets, including the Air Force’s Thunderbirds, will begin flying again....>>
• Russia to Build 100 New Military Bases and Airfields
About 100 new defense infrastructure facilities, including airfields and Army and Navy maintenance and supply bases, will be built in Russia to accommodate new weapon systems, a to...>>
• Russia to Upgrade Its Bases in Armenia
Russian military bases in Armenia will be modernized and upgraded, Armenia’s top national security official said Thursday....>>
• Russia to Open Airbase in Belarus Within Months
Russia is opening an airbase in northwestern Belarus, near the Polish and Lithuanian borders, within just a few months, a Russian Air Force general said Wednesday....>>